Left to right: Keenan Smith, Taylor Mabe, Justin Streuli, Snehal Shah & Priyanka Ruparelia
- 1st Priyanka Ruparelia with her idea for a Nano Bone Implant, a device to serve as a drug delivery system that can help heal bone trauma as well as prevent unwanted bone growth in the heel bone.
- 2nd Taylor Mabe with his idea BioSense, a highly developed nanoscience bio detection system to test for chemical compounds or viruses in the body.
- 3rd Snehal Shah presented SmartWrap a biodegradable nanodevice-combined polymer. Food stays fresh for a longer and when it turns bad, the sensors in the film sense the bacteria/gases and the film changes color.
- Best Presentation went to Keenan Smith, with Whysk, a virtual marathon platform that allows users to run competitively against each other with added level of gamification.
Clara Osmont – High Point University – Tattle Tail
Priyanka Ruparelia – PhD candidate – UNCG – Skin Spy
Taylor Mabe – PhD candidate – UNCG – Nano Flow
Naomi Thomas – UNCG – My Tech life
2 Minutes to Win It – Business Idea Competition
Got a business idea? Pitch it for your chance at winning over $2,000 in prize money plus more!
During the fall semester each year, the NCEC at UNCG sponsors the 2 Minutes to Win It Business Idea Competition. 2 Minutes is open to all full-time students who are at least 18 years old at UNCG, NCAT, Greensboro College, Guilford College, Bennett College, Elon University, Guilford Tech and High Point University. Prizes will include $1,000 for first place, $500 for second place, $250 for third place and $250 for best presentation as well as other prizes including a spot in the Triad Startup Lab and consultations with attorneys, marketers and business strategists.
Entering is easy. No requirement for an extensive business plan, just a great well-though out idea. Develop original ideas for any type of business or social entrepreneurship venture. The only exceptions are that ideas can’t be franchises or something that has already been started. Students are encouraged to enter multiple times with multiple ideas. The more ideas you have, the better chance you have of making the finals!
Once submissions are closed, the ideas will be sent blind/anonymously to a panel of First Round Judges who narrow the entries and select the 20 best entries as Finalists. Judges will not know your name, major, year in school, or any other identifying information. Finalists will be notified a few weeks before the actual pitches and will be invited to attend a Pitch Workshop to help fine-tune their ideas and improve their pitch. On 2 Minutes to Win It Pitch Day, each of the 20 finalists will have two minutes to pitch his or her idea to a panel of 30+ entrepreneur judges. Winners will be announced at a reception to follow.
Fall 2015 – 2 Minutes to Win It – Information
October 10 – Submission Deadline
October 31 – Finalists Notified
November 3- Pitch Workshop
November 18- Pitch Day & Awards at HQ Greensboro
Fall 2015 – Sponsors
Event and Award Sponsors:
Fall 2015 – How to Enter
- Come up with an original business idea. It can be any type of business or social entrepreneurship venture, any size, any location (including virtual). The only thing it can’t be is a franchise. It must be your original idea and it cannot be something that you have already started.
- Develop a creative name for your business, tell us where it will be located, develop a brief description, define your your target customers and how you will reach them, and provide some evidence as to why you think you’ve got a great idea. (A little outside research with some numbers or examples to support is always helpful!)
- Submit this online form no later than midnight October 10, 2015. Enter as many times as you want as long as each idea is original. After you enter information about your idea, carefully read everything else on this page and electronically sign the form before you hit Submit.
Entry for the Fall 2015 Competition is now OPEN.
It’s that simple! If you have any questions, contact Jan Szelkowski at email@example.com, 336-256-8649 or Justin Streuli at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-256-8647 for more information.